Skip to main content

Adaptability instead of Equal Access

Draft started 4/16/2020

I'm gonna start this thought before I lose it and before I do any scientific research.  Ugghhh, grad school severely altered my ability to develop a full thought without thinking about quantifying data.  With the craziness of the school closures and distance learning, I've read over and over remarks from teachers about equal access.  I've been there, and sometimes, I linger here still -- the idea that all students should have equal access.

It's easy and simple.  I only have to create one lesson plan to push out with the expectation that all students have equal access and that no issues will arise as students complete the assignment.  Ok, none of us teachers really believes this myth.  We may long for it, but we don't believe it will ever happen.  Sometimes, magically, we get close??? 

Teacher background and education level, age and experience all contribute to ideology.   As an illustration:  younger teachers with less experience, especially those who come from upper middle class backgrounds tend to see the world differently.  When I first moved to Austin from rural central Texas, I didn't see the world the same way many of my fellow graduate program students did.  In fact, there were lots of discussions in my program that often got heated between those of us who were older with previous teaching experience.

What I now understand is that a teacher's real job is to teach students to adapt to situations, not to try to provide equal access.  Honestly, I've known this for a long time and tend to forget it at time.  I know I was not truly prepared to understand the deeper reality of teaching in my teacher preparation courses - either in undergrad or grad school.  For so long, I thought I was supposed to know everything I could about my subject matter and hold this absurd expectations that I could somehow magically pour years of education and research into the brains of my students. Teaching in an inner city school with a 100% low SES changed that thought forever.  Many of my students in that inner city were homeless, living way below the poverty level, wearing ankle monitors and only at school most days to eat the free breakfast and lunch.

This reality is not one someone from a middle class background in a rural area can fully understand or appreciate.  And if you happen to read this and disagree with me, prove me wrong.

My rant here started because of very heated debate that happened in a Facebook teacher group I am a member of.  If I can ever find the original cartoon meme, I will share.  A poorly dressed student is staring into the window of a classmate with a computer, tablet and smart phone on a desk.  It is simliar to the photo I'm sharing here now.

I've seen something similar to this in the past, and it made me think of conversations I had in grad school about how horrible it was that not all students have the same access to education.  Before you lose your mind......I would love nothing better than for equality to exist.  I think it is a travesty that school districts across the state of Texas vary so greatly.

But pause for a second.  Think about this statement.  Local school boards have the power to make local decisions about school funding.  Would you want students in very rural West Texas to be taught exactly the same way as a student in Houston?  Ideology aside, the world is not equal in any shape or form.  Even when equal access is available, families have different perspectives about the role of education in the lives of their children.  I feel that spending too much time focused on the reality of inequality truly distracts from the real purpose of education........to teach our students to meet the challenges they are facing.

I could seriously write a book about this topic.  From standardized testing to the poor telecommunications infrastructure, lack of job opportunities, government mandates without funding......the list is enormous.  And here lies the truth:  Without resiliency, all the opportunities (or lack thereof) will not help a person.  Years ago, I began to use the terms "consistency and constancy" to help me explore my own thoughts on this ideal that we must have a consistent purpose to which to aspire.  To have true long term success, you need to be able to shift when needed, but not to veer off course.

Take students where you meet them:  broken, lost, confused, compromised, traumatized, scared.....and teach students how to access their own unique voice.  Teach students how to access resources.  Meet students where they are - not with pity, but with an arsenal of tools to help students deal with the issues restricting their ability to see a better world.

Comments

  1. ngo foundation in india
    Plan india is a child rights organisation providing children, especially girls, with access to education, healthcare, protection and livelihood opportunities. • Plan India is a child rights organization providing children, especially girls, with access to education, healthcare, protection and livelihood opportunities

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no