Skip to main content

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy.

At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's nephew George Washington Mitchell.  George (1814 - 1904) was the son of Andrew's younger brother, James (1765 - 1843).  For Andrew to be with his ill wife, the younger brother, James, volunteered to serve in Andrew's place. James was only fifteen at the time.  Shortly after Andrew, Jr. took furlough,  the Revolutionary War ended. The 3rd son, John (1760 - 1833) also served and was barely 15 when he enlisted.

Recap:  3 brothers - Andrew, James and John.  Andrew was the oldest and serving when his wife fell ill.  The two younger brothers were not barely old enough to serve.  James took his brother's place.  All three brothers migrated to Maury County, Tennessee where John and James received pensions and bounty land grants for service.  I found documentation for this.  I could not find any documentation for a pension or bounty land grant for Andrew.  I did find documentation of Andrew selling land in Maury County between 1807 - 1843. No SAR / DAR  applications have been filed from his line.  Neither did I find a rejected SAR / DAR from Andrew's line.  Despite this, I feel certain that Andrew did serve during the Revolutionary War.  Although I have yet to uncover military documentation, two sources do corroborate my supposition:  1) Let the drums roll:  Veterans and patriots of the Revolutionary War who settled in Maury County, Tennessee by Marise Parrish Lightfoot (1976); 2) a story that ran in the July 3, 1976 of the Daily Herald listed the names of Revolutionary War veterans who resided in Maury County, Tennessee.  On the list were all three brothers.   I am trying to find an actual copy of the news article.  At this time, I have just found it referenced several times with transcriptions.  James was buried in Maury County, Tennessee, and speculation by other researchers suggests that John and Andrew were also buried in Maury County.  I have not found gravesites for either of them.  I am continuing to work backwards for each of Andrew's children in an attempt to find a burial site.

Andrew's son, Andrew Tate Mitchell (1784 - 1829) is the line I descend from.  For some reason, the stories of Andrew's children are complicated and elusive.  So far, I have uncovered some intriguing information.

I think about this Irish family who came to the New World.  The reasons are not known, but probably due to opportunities.  The father, Andrew,Sr. was a magistrate in Orange County and practiced law there.  He would eventually teach his grandson, Andrew Burns (Margaret's son) law.  Andrew would go on to practice law and credit his grandfather.  The three sons, all close in age, took up arms against England.  I truly can almost picture these Irish boys with rugged Gaelic good looks and heavy accents talking about defeating the English.

I had heard most of my childhood that my family was Irish, and I finally proved it.  It explains my fascination with Ireland and why all three of my daughters have Gaelic names.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:57 PM

    Do you have any male Mitchells that would be willing to do a dna test? I am trying to prove or disprove lineage from Andrew Mitchell. Celticgermandori@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:16 PM

    I think further research will show this family is from Scotland and specifically within 100 mile radius of Maybole. Scotlandrg at gmail.com. The reason is due to the Mitchell, McGowan/Gowan, and Burns connection in Scotland and Virginia, as well as possibly Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I feel it is possible a Scotland connection exists prior to the early 1700s, SAR applications for both James and John Mitchell's sons say the parents descended from Limerick County, Ireland. I am still researching the Burns connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:58 PM

    You mention Andrew Burns as a son of Margaret (Mitchell). I assume this Margaret is the Margaret Mitchell that is suppose to have married a William Burns and moved to Georgia. What is the proof that this Margaret Mitchell married a William Burns? Is there a reference somewhere to this marriage? Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the good work mommie I love u

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:00 PM

    I am a direct descendant of Andrew Mitchell and Mary McGowan. Andrew is my 7X Great Grandfather. TxWarthog@aol.com! Michael A. Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, Andrew SR is my 6th great grandfather through his son Andrew JR. (Andrew and Mary Tate). I have truly enjoyed researching the Irish line of my family.

      Delete
    2. Stacci, if you happen to find any information may I have a copy, I've not been able to find much on Andrew Mitchell and Mary McGowan. He's my 5th grt uncle through His brother James. I know he was in the Revolutionary war, but I've only found 1 possible mention of him on the North Carolina site with only 1 possible battle he might have been in.I'd really appreciate it alot.

      Delete
  7. I've recently started my family research and am related to Andrew SR through his son James Andrew. I Believe you are correct that this family goes way back to Scotland just from a few hints here and there that I have still to research and prove. While I know that I've still got alot of misinformation on my tree I'm slowly weeding things out. It's also nice that others are posting things like the old letters and handwritten lines. It's a mess but I'm also having fun just to see how far the family goes back and just imagine the times that they lived in. Considering that his sons participated in the rev. war, I do not think he'd just stand back and watch. Think of what we know about the irish and scottish, they loved war almost like a sport. Not being offensive, but they were a brave and hardy lot with very strong beliefs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no