Skip to main content
Ever hear the expression "selective hearing"? I am sure everyone has. It is true. We can selectively hear things. We each have that awesome power. What you choose to hear has a lot to do with the information you are inputting into your brain. Somehow, you have to hear only the truth.

Part of this is attached to your eyes as well. It is not good enough to close the eyes during a commercial if you leave the volume up. Probably the hardest part for me is to hear only positive comments about myself.

Ephesians 6: 10 - 18 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day.

1 Thessalonians 5:8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.

An officer I worked with at Brownwood PD provided me these examples on how to withstand the attempts of the enemy to undermine us. Each day, I have to visualize myself, like a policeman, putting on all my defensive equipment to get through the day. If negativity and criticism are the two weapons doing the most damage to my determination, then I need reinforcement against them. I started listening to only Christian music.

It is so important to inject at this point that everyone falls. Everyone!!! What separates people is the ability to get up and continue on. Falling is not failure. Failure comes with giving up completely.

Listen to Kutless "What Faith Can Do".

Everytime I get a bit discouraged or when I feel pressed upon, I first ask myself if I have my armor on, and then I listen to this song to give me a boost of confidence. It works every single time.

Prayer: Lord God, give me courage to hear only Your words today, to hear what you need for me to do. I know I have allowed too much negativity into my life, and I need to armor myself against the weapons in the path You have set for me. Amen

Finally, the last part of the head..........the mouth.

This is a big one. Not only does the mouth intake food, but it spews out words.
We will tackle the idea of intake later. For now, let's talk about the words that come out ouf your mouth.

Watch your thought they become your words. Watch your words they become your actions. Watch your actions they become your habits. Watch your habits they become your character. Watch your character it becomes your destiny" — Frank Outlaw

Once you have decided to stop watching junk, listening to junk, thinking junk, you have to also stop saying junk. Ask anyone who knew me 3 years ago and they will tell you that I was always down on myself. They were right. In all the years living in a verbally abusive home, I had decided that if I criticized myself, talked badly about myself first, no one else could hurt me. As a child, this might be the only coping mechanism, but as an adult, I had to learn other ways.

Listen to "So Long Self" by MercyMe. Wow...............when you are the person getting in God's way for your success, then what do you do??

Practical 2: think about (or write down) 5 good things about yourself. Now, write down 1 not so good thing about yourself. Make a challenge to yourself. Each time you think something negative, write it down. Soon, I promise, you will see that it is usually the same thing over and over. Then, pray. God already knows what your hang up is: the thorn in the side. He has constantly put gifts in your life to overcome your hangup. It is now time to utilize all the great things about you to overcome the one thing that you don't like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no