Skip to main content
So many times I have heard that the best way to learn something is to teach it. I know this is true through my own experiences as a teacher, so I thought I'd take this approach to getting a healthier lifestyle as though I were teaching others how to do it. What I don't want is to sound like an expert or to come off as preachy.

Instead, I am truly teaching myself.

If I were to teach this class, I would need to develop a lesson plan. So, in a sense, I have. My objectives are: strengthen, maintain, empower. I will do this through studying, hands on applications and periodic assessments.

My intro to this lesson would be something inspirational, something practical and simple. I was in the shower and thought about this:

The task of attaining a healthier lifestyle all begins with the head. Starting at the top, the brain has to have knowledge (input) to fully comprehend what it is being asked to do. After all, a computer is only as good as its programmer. The part of the brain that inputs all information is waiting. Inside the brain is also the part called determination. Even if all information needed has been inputted, determination will not work until the light switch is turned on. A person has to have determination.

The path to activate determination are numerous. Some people need a boost of spirituality while others merely need the right information. Finding a way to become determined is a task each person will need to spend some time contemplating. For me, determination came from wanting to appear physically in control of my own life for dating purposes and to broaden my opportunities during my retirement. Be warned: sometimes determination can only be found once you open some closets and let out some ghosts in your past. If you are carrying baggage, using excuses, living in denial, determination will not be able to work properly. This is the number one reason that dieting yo yos occur.

My path to determination has taken years................years of ups and downs; years of tears and regret and years of feeling like I was not worthy enough for something better. I had no idea that my journey into emotional stability would need to be conquered before I would be brave enough to face the challenge of a physically healthier me. But here I am.

I have two other places within in the brain I want to explore, but because they are both strongly tied to spirituality, I will wait and visit those when we talk about the heart.

Still at the head, let's explore the eyes. What we see sometimes dramatically affects our opinions and ultimately, our success. My best advice for you is to stop looking. Stop watching nutri system or jenny craig commercials. Stop watching drama filled tv shows like desperate housewives. Stop watching commercials about creamy rich food. Stop looking at anerexic models on the magazine covers at the checkout stand. Stop looking at anyone else and comparing yourself to her/him. Instead, use your eyes to truly see. Read food labels. Read inspirational books, pamphlets and most especially, read the Bible. Take all your clothes off and truly see yourself. Remember I mentioned living in denial??? By denying the reality of the world and instead choosing to aspire to some fairy tale, you are blocking your own success.

Psalm 139:16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Practical time: if you do not want to actually write this down, spend some time thinking about it, meditating. If you are like me and need to journal, then challenge yourself after you read Psalm 139:16 to create an explanation to God why you have allowed yourself get to where you are today. Then, ask Him for forgiveness and for the courage to take one baby step in the right direction. A good song to have playing is Natalie Grant's "Perfect People".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no