Skip to main content

Random Blog Posts 2008


Jan 25, 2008
Sings the Wind

Chilled air swirls and mist clings to a grey world. She huddles closer in the alcove, the deer hide wrapped securely around her, and a small trail of tears slip from her tired eyes.

Exhausted hunger and the chill creep into her mind and play tricks with reality. She imagines a world of warm yellow and the sweet embrace of one she loved. Find me, she begs.

Alone now, Sings the Wind remembers so much before. She wonders where her strong warrior has gone. Isolation tortures her, more chilling than the cold mist swirling outside. Haunting sweet memories and smells from before confuse, making sleep more desirable but impossible.

Will song ever conquer my lips, she muses. Shall love once again set ablaze my soul?

------------·Comments (0)·Edit ·.Remove----------

Jan 25, 2008
Constancy.........Goethe

Thanks to *~littlekou... ~* for the following:

CONSTANCY IN CHANGE.
Goethe

COULD this early bliss but rest

Constant for one single hour!
But e'en now the humid West

Scatters many a vernal shower.
Should the verdure give me joy?

'Tis to it I owe the shade;
Soon will storms its bloom destroy,

Soon will Autumn bid it fade.

Eagerly thy portion seize,

If thou wouldst possess the fruit!
Fast begin to ripen these,

And the rest already shoot.
With each heavy storm of rain

Change comes o'er thy valley fair;
Once, alas! but not again

Can the same stream hold thee e'er.

And thyself, what erst at least

Firm as rocks appear'd to rise,
Walls and palaces thou seest

But with ever-changing eyes.
Fled for ever now the lip

That with kisses used to glow,
And the foot, that used to skip

O'er the mountain, like the roe.

And the hand, so true and warm,

Ever raised in charity,
And the cunning-fashion'd form,--

All are now changed utterly.
And what used to bear thy name,

When upon yon spot it stood,
Like a rolling billow came,

Hast'ning on to join the flood.

Be then the beginning found

With the end in unison,
Swifter than the forms around

Are themselves now fleeting on!
Thank the merit in thy breast,

Thank the mould within thy heart,
That the Muses' favour blest
Ne'er will perish, ne'er depart.

Goethe, 1803.*

------------------·Comments (0)·Edit ·.Remove -----------------------------

Jan 24, 2008
Constancy vs Consistency

Most of my life I have strived for constancy........in my relationships, life patterns, even in my ideals.

In a progressive country change is constant; ...change... is inevitable.

The secret of success is constancy of purpose.

These quotes from Benjamin Disraeli so completely explain what I have struggled with all week. Constancy...........check out the definition. It might surprise you what the dictionary says about it. In the last few months, I have tried to separate Constancy from Consistency, but the two are so interchangeable. Constancy has defined my life. Not in the ways I have craved, but still, its precense is undeniable. Mostly, I realize that truly living life means change............some things cannot be constant.

But, I can be consistent in my ideal, holdfast to my character. I can see how change helps shape the person I am.

"Pictures of you, pictures of me, all upon your wall, for the world to see", a delightful new song by The Last Goodnight. All week this song has played in my mind. Finally got it downloaded tonight and can listen as I explore the definitions of constancy/consistency.

------------·Comments (0)·Edit ·.Remove-----------------

Jan 24, 2008
John Donne

NOW thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
Or that oaths made in reverential fear
Of Love, and his wrath, any may forswear ?
Or, as true deaths true marriages untie,
So lovers' contracts, images of those,
Bind but till sleep, death's image, them unloose ?
Or, your own end to justify,
For having purposed change and falsehood, you
Can have no way but falsehood to be true ?
Vain lunatic, against these 'scapes I could
Dispute, and conquer, if I would ;
Which I abstain to do,
For by to-morrow I may think so too.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source:
Donne,John. Poems of John Donne. vol I.
E. K. Chambers, ed.
London: Lawrence & Bullen, 1896. 5


Edited page 6/7/14 due to broken links. I can't remember what video version of "Pictures" from The Last Goodnight I had posted, but as I was searching for a different one to post, I was struggling to find an official version. Sadly, the band has had no real success past this one song. The song still resonates with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no