Skip to main content

Kindle, Banana Bread and Smug Whispers

My Kindle and I are on the outs right now.........I am pretty mad about the Veronica Roth attempt to wrap up her "Divergent" series with the third book, "Allegiant".  It took me only a couple of days to complete the first two in the series, and here I am, 8 days in, and I am only halfway through "Allegiant".  Seriously.

In sharp contrast is my obsessive need to complete Gillain Flynn's "Gone Girl" which I detested at the beginning.  Now, I cannot get enough.  I honestly feel like an infatuated, love struck teenager as I troll any internet information about the book.  Breathe!!  1, 2, 3.  It's healthy, I guess.  I am not much impressed with Gillian Flynn herself.........there is just something about her:  her hair, her fair complexion, her smug attitude in interviews.

Ok, ok.............I have done some research on her too.  She is able to pull off the multiplicity in characterization that Veronica Roth cannot.  As a writer, I wanted to find out about that.  Isn't that what makes one improve??  Competition??

I would totally hate to be "derivative".  Thank "Jersey Boys" for my new word.  Derivative.  But my use of this word is not to copy the sound of someone else as much as it is not to copy my own sound, over and over.  It's quite cliched.  And one thing I never wanted to be.............cliched.  I think I actually said this week that in trying so hard not to be a cliche, I have become a cliche..........the person trying not to be a cliche.  Is it truly still "in vogue"?

Vogue, vogue, vogue.........strike a pose.

So, borrowing from "Jersey Boys"....................I need to re-invent my voice, to not be derivative of my earlier self.  Maybe a Stacci, Reinvented?  I am seriously laughing at this.  How completely cliched!!!

Where, o where do these smug whispers come from?  Let's try this on for size.  I will allow the smug, arrogant voice in my head to be the voice that echoes in my words.  That's pretty non-derivative.  Ha!  What I enjoy about "Gone Girl" is its brutal honesty.  I am completely in love with Amy Elliott Dunn specifically because she is self-satisfied, intense and unapologetic.  She is everything I wish I were.  Well, maybe  not her ruthless destructiveness.  Or, maybe that is the point............that brutal honestly can only lead to ruthless destruction.  If I identify with a mentally challenged individual, does that make me mentally challenged?  (I may erase this question later because it is just a bit too revealing, too shocking).  I did say I would let the smug, arrogant voice write, did I not?

I have to say that in the last year, year and half, I have truly been off my game.  I have playfully named it "my brain tumor".  My eye sight weakens, I forget things, and I honestly have slurred speech and moments of panic when I feel like my hard drive may be malfunctioning.  There are so many things that this could be.........stress, stress, stress.  Oh, did I mention that I am under a bit of stress lately??

Ok, kindle...............today you and I will find the perfect banana oatmeal muffin recipe so that I can use these very overripe bananas that are sitting in a bag in my refrigerator.  They are pretty brown.  It's funny, really.  I will not even throw out two meager bananas.  I just have no idea what in the hell is happening in my life right now, but I do know that I must use these bananas.

Gotta get the bananas.

The analogy of the monkeys in a cage who are beaten when they try to reach the bananas and how as the original beaten monkeys are replaced with newer, unbeaten monkeys.........let me catch my breath.  Read it for yourself.  It's easier that way.  While I don't want to to discuss the analogy itself, what I do want to say is that many of us find ourselves sucked into this monkey culture without realizing it.  If you take some time to read the comments after the article, you will see many attempts to import some sense of self-importance, self awareness or even smug whispers that it couldn't "happen to me".  In reality, trying to explain how the theory of corporate (community, family...........use any collective noun in its place) culture can be changed only serves to illustrate the analogy even further.

I'm no expert............and in my own attempt to make some point, I am being a cliche..........ha.

So I'll wrap up these lil' tirade with a clip from the London finale of the stage play "Jersey Boys".  It's not as sweet as the movie finale, but the music is the same.  I gotta hand it to Clint Eastwood.  Despite some negative press about the movie, it tells a unique and fairly unknown story.  I have my own opinions about Eastwood projects which I'll save for another day.

Muffins need to go into the oven, and seriously, I gotta make contact with Amy Elliott Dunn today.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no