Skip to main content

Apathy, Frustration and Toxic CoWorkers


Apathy……….it’s my word for the day.

Lack of interest, enthusiasm or concern.

It’s the word that describes my passive/aggressive reaction to events at work today, so I wanted to explore a bit more about what it was, what causes it and most importantly, how to get rid of it.  Most of the articles I read said avoidance of it is the best way to not have it.  Further, lots of discussion also centered on the numbers of employees who exhibit it.  Many of the articles also talked extensively about foundational leadership principles used in the management of or avoidance of workplace apathy.  I, as an employee, someone who wants to feel engaged and empowered in her life, need to know what I can do to be engaged and empowered.  I need to feel that I have the power to exact change in my immediate situation.  Further, I want to learn how to combat the effects of apathy, not necessarily apathy itself.  You see, I know I am pretty apathetic when it comes to others.  I also know there is not a lot I can do about that fact.  It is part of my make-up.  I am, and always have been, all in or all out.  Finding the proverbial middle ground will be an ongoing struggle for me.  I must laugh at this and repeat it.  Finding the proverbial middle ground will be an ongoing struggle for me.

Middle child, middle America, middle class – well, not really middle class as much as an aspiring to middle class………… these are no means the reason finding the middle is difficult for me.  It’s pure logic.  I really do like things that make sense.  If a=b and b=c, then a=c.  Seriously.

Apathy in the workplace is a direct reaction to poor leadership.  Even if you begin to unravel a symptom of apathy and it appears that vapid, toxic coworkers are the instigating event, believe me, poor leadership will be the end of the yarn.  In a recession when talented, enthusiastic employees are coveted, most professional organizational advice is focus on undoing the dead weight, the apathetic.  I am Susie Sunshine, and I am dynamic and explosive in my energy and commitment to my endeavors.  Resistance to change often pits me against my co-workers, and I don’t want it to.  I have moved away from the “just let me do my job” attitude toward a “hey, I wanna join your group” attitude, but the pushback occurs anyway.

Not meant to be a worker bee.

I’ve heard the whisper toward leadership more and more in the last couple of years.  I have resisted these whispers more from fear of success than from fear of failure.  Let me explain.  I made a direct and conscientious decision to devote my talents and time to my daughters.  I am the only parent they have.  I did not want to be consumed in a career that caused me to make them feel second.  “The cat’s in the cradle and the silver spoon…..”  Sometimes, despite such devotions, our children move into their lives and inadvertently leave us behind.  I have tried to get closer and closer to my own mother, but I am still plagued by a sense of rejection.

Since I hate being clichéd, I will offer my own opinions about ways to rid apathy within oneself in the workplace.

Stacci’s List to Combat Apathy

 

Professional development – become better at the job you currently do.  Making a checklist of what you feel you don’t and do know will help steer you toward very necessary professional development.  All professionals train.  All professionals condition.  It is not enough to have talent without work and commitment.

Yoga – breathe in, breathe out (wax on, wax off).  On break, meditate.  Breathe, stretch and allow your body to stretch out sedentary muscles.  Sitting all day takes a toll on your posture and on your circulation.  Get it flowing.  Every hour on the hour (even if I get up and move around in between), get out of your chair and move around.  Work standing up for a few moments.  Breathe.

Network – preferably outside a toxic environment.  What professional organizations exist for your field?  Get involved with them.  Does your company have a policy for volunteering, mentoring, etc?  Take advantage of these.  It gets your out of the office and allows you to network.  Within your office, find those pockets of others who may need an escape.  I know it might be hard, but be positive and nice to everyone.  It is pretty amazing what a few “lifesavers” candies can do when handed out with a smile.

Smile – it is a known fact that your tone and inflection are completely different when you smile.  This is important especially in customer service.  Plus, a smile makes toxic coworkers wonder what’s up!!

Keep tabs – document things.  This could be helpful if you need to file a complaint or defend your own attitude.  But also keep tabs on things you do to improve your attitude.  This includes handing out those “lifesavers”.

Water – seriously!  I cannot express enough the value of water.  Caffeine and carbonated water are enemies to mental health.  I say this laughing because I always know when my stress level rises based on my need for soda.  Getting enough water daily aids in digestion and proper brain function. 
Sleep – not at work, either.  Sleep deprivation is the biggest problem facing people.  I do not know why we feel so compelled to stay up later and later while feigning off much needed sleep.  Sleep deprivation contributes to poor digestion and circulation.  These then contribute to irritability and stress.  I remind myself often that I need to sleep more.  I have so much I want to accomplish once I am home from work that I push myself.  I have thought about instituting a family hour of silence

Comments

  1. Clearly, you are not apathetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But oh, Teresa, I have my days when apathy defines me, especially when it comes to coworkers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no