Skip to main content

Ancestors and Record Keeping

Our lives are collections - collections of memories, photos, conversations, keepsakes and experiences.......... the good and the bad.

One of the saddest parts of doing genealogy is the sadness that so many people are not well remembered or not well recorded.  This could happen for many reasons, and it is the driving force behind my obsession to document my family's existance in this world.  

In many families, maybe the collections (i.e. the memories) have been handed to someone in the family.  When a parent passes, it is usually one child who gets the collections.  I'm sure it's the story of most families.  Sometimes, that collection keeper holds onto the collection, not sharing the information.  Jealousy, greed, bad feelings............the reasons are as numerous as the stories locked away in the collection. I think about my own grandparents, maternal and paternal.  I knew them.  Some of their stories I was present for.  I at least know where to look for additional information. 

I have been working on my daughters' line, and so many of their ancestors are poorly recorded.  I only have small amounts of information to conduct research; sadly, I do not have connections with my ex in-laws.  Cornelia Hughley is the ancestor that began my reverie.  She married Squire Nathan Childre.  Although born in Alabama, her final resting place is Hurst Ranch Cemetery in Hamilton County, Texas.

I have such a desire to write the story for my daughters so that they will understand, that they will know, that they will feel, where they are from.  It is so important to me, and one day it may be important to them.

Today, I am driving back through the almost deserted roadway between Austin and Brownwood. I will go through the same areas that the ancestors of my daughters and even some of my own ancestors traveled
before they migrated to Mills, Brown and Coleman counties.

I want to know what prompted people to come to Williamson County from Arkansas, South Carolina or Missouri.  How did they end up in Williamson or Travis counties?  How did they end up here?  Even more amazing to me is how and why these people migrated into a hostile western area.

The terrain is not that great to farm, and surface water is scarce.  It is  almost a desert region with lots of hot temperatures and little rain.  In constrast, Williamson County is lush, green and full of underground springs. What prompted people to leave such an area and move into the Northwest area full of hostile Comanche Indians?  I'm sure the fact that farming in some areas was possible, or that maybe the crazy land grants offered inticed many.

This thirst is something I cannot appreciate in 2014.  Or actually, maybe I can.

Because what drives any of us what drives a person to get an education or to improve their lot in life?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no