Skip to main content

Dreams Realized but with Lingering Regrets

Today, I was finally offered a teaching job after 8 years and hundreds of applications, emails and rejections.  All the emotions running through me collide, and I can barely believe it's real.  I have worked for a long time to become a teacher - it's 15 years in the making.  It's all too surreal.

And today, I watched my daughter attempt to bring her life back on track, watched the humiliation and disappointment as she had to accept that the easy road she was hoping to find does not exist.  As a parent, as a teacher, I want to reach out and grasp hold of her dream, of her life, and make it all better.  Not wanting her disappointment to overshadow my joy, I was lost in complete confusion.

More and more, I remind myself that I cannot be a martyr to a cause that I do not fully support.  I have not defined what the cause is, but a small voice continues to whisper, "Do not be a martyr."

---------------------------------------------------------------


Move forward 2 months:  When I stumbled upon the beginning of this post, I could vaguely remember it, but the original intent has since been lost.  My frustration at my writing continues as I have outlined many times in the past couple of years.  It also serves as an excellent platform for what I wanted to write about today, so I will leave the top portion.

Having recently completed the new Jack London biography "Wolf" by  James Haley, I have pondered London's persistent habit of writing 1,000 words daily.  He wanted to use his writing to support himself and established a writing regime that actualized that desire.  So how many words is 1,000?  

It's a manageable goal.  

From the biography, I learned so much more than London's daily word goal.  I also learned what true persistence looks like and that success must be something measurable in your spirit.  The sheer number of tragic moments in London's life startles:  stillborn son, house fire, financial ruin...........one loss after another.

London also devised a plan of action for publication.  I wish I had his determination.  I, too, once had a dream of being a published writer and living off my trade.  Not that I do not love teaching, but writing is my passion.  After reading the biography, I also revisited my novella "A Philly Story", working on a section of it.  This is the first serious entry on my novella in almost 2 years.  London would not approve my neglect.  

The reason I stored my dreams made complete sense at the time, but as time marches rudely forward waiting for no one, I understand that wasted so much time.  1,000 words daily?  I just sigh, now knowing that 1,000 words daily would be roughly 550 pages................a book!  Many of London's manuscripts were never published, and his rejections far out numbered his acceptances.  London knew he had things to say, and his voracious appetite to learn provided more and more background for his writing.  


And just in case you are wondering, this post was at 501 words before this final thought.  Possibly I could've wrote 1,000 words had I not had consistent interruptions and obligations that drew me away from writing today.  I know that as I outlined this post in my mind, it had more meat to it.  Dedicating time each day, without interruption, to write ensures success to the strict adherence to 1,000 words a day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no