Skip to main content

Finding Joy

It's been over 3 years since I felt anything close to joy................the last holiday season that I felt excited and optimistic was 2012, and as I pondered that fact this morning, I realized that I had to do a great deal of faking through that holiday.  The sense of joy lingered in the shadows, but it had not completely disappeared.

Maybe it's joy I miss.  When I write about missing a person, maybe it is joy.

I used to save the little metal round lids on frozen juice containers.  I had a stack of about 40 of them.  In 2012, I decorated the lids with black / white photos of our family members.  The ornaments turned out so cute.  What stands out about the project now is that I didn't even complete my original plan.

It's my own fault that joy has left me.  I didn't guard / protect it enough.  Too late did I make it the priority.

A friend posted this on FB, and it pretty much summed up what I needed to do instead of dwelling on what I think I may have lost.

We all need a recipe for joy.

Take time to think about what JOY means to you.

What is joy?  Joy is the sense of hopefulness that comes into your life and makes you see the world through innocent eyes.  It is planning small things that enhance life such as day trips and Christmas goodie bags.  Joy is the ability to see light and goodness in every situation and to not have fear and anxiety.  When joy exists, so too does an opportunity to extend beyond your current situation and have faith in something greater than yourself.

Recall a time when you felt the most JOY in your life.
What were the specifics of that moment?
Was joy temporary or sustained.

Think about the small moments in your life that you may take for granted that help create joy.
Is it a certain song?  a movie?  a Bible verse?

What has happened since your last joyful experience to block your joy?

What would you say to joy if it were an actual person?






Comments

  1. "When joy exists, so too does an opportunity to extend beyond your current situation and have faith in something greater than yourself." Well said Stacci.

    38 Special has an amazingly wise song that I find myself referring to several times a month for years now...

    Just hold on loosely
    But don't let go
    If you cling too tightly
    You're gonna lose control

    Your baby needs someone to believe in
    And a whole lot of space to breathe in

    Now of course it's a cheesy rock n roll song so substitute baby for just about anything you value and the words are worth repeating to yourself several times a month for years... at least if you're me ;)

    If it's not evident what my rambling has to do with joy, this is how I view joy and happiness, something to be valued but treated gently enough that it sticks around.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no