Skip to main content

Child Support and Accountability

On April 4, I wrote, "Again, sitting in court in regard to child support. Again, taking precious time off and having to do so much work for a sub".  It only took a month after the court date and the adjustment to child support for the ex to quit (lose) his job.  Now, I am facing another summer of working a third job to stay ahead of my finances.

This is exhausting.

Now it's June, and the ex is still not working.  Nor will he respond to calls / texts.  What I have feared for the 14 years of divorce status has become a reality............my ex is a dead beat dad.  He dropped off emotionally years ago, and sadly, my daughters have learned to live without a dad present in their lives.  In all that time, I was always satisfied to know he had to financially contribute to their lives, even if he couldn't emotionally contribute.  Now, that allusion is gone, too.

We will survive; we always do.  I think back to the first 2 years of the separation and then early divorce when there was no word from the ex, no financial support and the constant interference of his family.  I was young (34), newly thrust back into the role as a working woman and a single mom struggling to pay for day care, school pictures, dance class and still maintain a level of social commitment I had as an at home mom.  Slowly, as one social connection after another disappeared -- small town, single woman (can you say pariah??) -- I also had to deal with the bruised feelings of my daughters as their "friends" could no longer interact outside of school.  We survived.

I have heard one horror story after another from other single parents -- the disappearance of the ex, the lack of emotional and / or financial support, the endless attempts to hold the other party responsible.  Seriously.  Who has time for all this?

As Summer school begins this coming week and I am spending my "vacation" trying to stay financially afloat, I can't help but have a huge wave of resentment to the whole system overwhelm me.  I am mad at the ex, at the court system, at the happily married couples with their perfect 2-parent kids.

Now that my daughters are young women, I can feel all my jaded emotions continue to swell.  Swirling, these feelings often drown me in depression and apathy.  It's exhausting, and I deserve better than this.  My daughters deserve better than this.

And then I remember, I am not alone.  There are thousands of single parents fighting this same fight.  The system does not reward the love and commitment of these single parents.  Instead, the system rewards the dead beat parents who know how to work the system to their advantage.  As I've sat in court several times now only to be sent home because the other party didn't show, I've heard the same thing happen over and over to others.  We take time off from work (hire a sitter), sit in court, miss other appointments -- only to be sent home. because the dead beat parent didn't show up.

The system provides so many loopholes to the deadbeat parent.  Observe this instance:  after 6 months of non payment, the ex makes a partial monthly payment, and the system then restarts the punishment clock.  Instead of saying "thanks for a partial, but you are still way behind", the system resets the clock and the dead beat parent now gets to continue skipping out on the responsibility for another 6 months before actual sanctions are applied.  I was told over and over again, "We need to give the other parent time to fulfill his responsibility before sanctions are imposed."  Sanctions start off with things like the revocation of state issued licenses, garnishment of income taxes or jail.  Sanctions don't come, however, until after several "warnings" are mailed out to the dead beat parent.  In my case, the ex has moved an average of every six months, so having an actual address is often not possible.  If no address is noted, the deadbeat parent is given more time to comply as the system tries to find him / her.

Screw that..........I did the work myself.  I tracked down the ex (new number, new address, new employer).  I tried getting his family to help me, but they wouldn't.  I used social media to get others to help me.  Unashamed and undeterred, I used social media to plea my case to people who might have information.  It worked out.

Now, I am repeating that process.  The ex has moved out of state, and his circle of friends / contacts are not ones I know.  I will figure it out.  We deserve better.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no