Skip to main content

Christmas in Houston

Many, many years ago when I was first married, we spent Christmas break in Houston with my ex-husband's older sister and family.  They hosted numerous family members.  My ex-husband was 1 of 9, and at the time we all mingled in Houston, there were already a dozen "grandchildren".  I had only been in Houston once before in my lifetime, and my imagination ran wild with the sheer size of the town.

My sister-in-law Janet remains all these years later, the epitome of the minster's wife and devoted family member.  She taught me how to make yeast rolls and broccoli cheddar soup.  I was so young, and watching her effortlessly maneuver sleeping arrangements, cooking and church business, I resolved to be more like her as I grew older.

It's getting colder here in Central Texas, and the Hamilton Bungalow is cozy.  I am finishing up the broccoli cheddar soup.  Here is where my attempts of emulating Janet end.  For the past fifteen years, I have been a single working mother.  Sadly, my life is spent holding my breath and waiting to get through each day.

As I've had time this last week to reflect about where my life is and what I feel I am missing, I can't help but grieve.  In many ways, I am still jaded about how my life took a very sharp turn.  Not only do I want more, but I deserve more.  So often lately I hear the whisper that life is what happens when you are making other plans.  We often fill the void with distractions - for me, this is work - to keep from processing the realities of our own lives.  What I find so frustrating is that these realities are not always negative or destructive.  I only know I want more than busyness in each of my days.

So, Christmas in Houston - - as a very young adult, the year that I spent Christmas with my in-laws shaped me in ways I am still discovering all these years later.  I have not been a member of that family for 15 years now, but I carry with me many fond memories.  When I divorced, sadly, the family divorced me and my children, too.  But, I have to accept a part of the blame for the abandonment because I drifted away too easily  For my part, I should've tried harder.  As I head into a new year, I hope to make amends for wrongs I've done.  I messaged my ex sister-in-law and told her how special that time had been for me.


Comments

  1. Anonymous8:50 PM

    I wish I could report that my attempt to contact my ex sister-in-law was rewarded with a response, but sadly, she has not responded to my attempts of contact. I can scarce blame her; it's been over 15 years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no