Skip to main content

Autumn Whispers

original date 09/11/2015

There is truly something special about this time of year........I can almost touch it, that beckoning sensation called Autumn.  Each day, it gets closer and closer.  Like a hot and sticky day running crazily from a rain, Autumn seems to wait just outside these last few hot and sticky days of summer, and with patience, the reward will be a cool rush of relief.


******
Like so many other beginnings, this small tidbit from 2.5 years ago has sat in draft mode, uncompleted, waiting to be shared.  I don't even remember writing it, the context for its creation long since gone like the 2 Autumns since it's beginning.

A constant is my love for Autumn and the waited anticipation of its arrival each Summer's end.  As Winter begins to fade slowly into Spring now, I know that in a few months, Autumn will once again beckon beyond the hot sticky days, and I will have another chance to enjoy the cool breezes and slower days.

***

Sep 2019 and the sweet promise of Autumn whispers in the rustle of falling leaves.  The trees this year dropped loads of sap, coating everything in a sticky mess in mid August.  Then, the leaves began to fall, and as the days grow shorter, so too does the temperate lower.  I truly can feel the promise of Autumn already beckoning.

I'm enjoying the magic of an ordinary day ------------- sipping rich, warm coffee while Sophie plays in the kitchen floor and watching the birds playing in the backyard.  It's still summer technically, and the weather will be up around mid 90s by late afternoon, but for now, it feels and looks like Autumn, with my summer flowers still in bloom.

More and more each year, I am so contented in the sweet slowness of this new life I've created.  This slowness has permitted me to enjoy those slow quiet moments even more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's