Skip to main content

Mental Illness

original date 7/18/2015

A couple days ago, my ex-husband turned 50, and I was transported backward in time to when I was still married and thought about all the great ways I would plan a memorable 50th birthday for him.  It's crazy that I thought about all that long ago planning when we've been apart almost as long as we were together.  Almost as quickly as the thought of the celebration entered my mind, so too did the tragic ending of my marriage.  It was tragic because it could've been saved with a bit of intervention.  All this time later as I have sought understanding and acceptance, I am provided with healthy opportunities to grieve the loss:  the loss of potential and the loss of innocence for a 32 year old mother of 3 small children.

One of my ex sisters-in-law told me at the time of the initial separation that the family had hoped I would be strong enough to handle the ex.

"To handle the ex" - code for handling the effects of mental illness without the support of others.

The tragic ending to my marriage was due to the effects of mental illness.  Three years prior to the initial separation, the ex-husband was diagnosed as manic depressive.  He would spend days in bed without eating or speaking to anyone.  He would withdraw into his own world when he wasn't sleeping.  On the opposite side of the depression was the hyper activity where he would go a couple of days without sleeping and talking in circles.  I would find him awake at 3 a.m. trying to instruct one of the children on how to clean their room or wanting to color.  The children were confused and exhausted.

Any attempt to discuss his behavior would often abruptly stop the behavior and cause a day or two of anger.  In the last year before the separation, the ex would literally disappear on his way to or from work.  This was pre cell phone, so I would have no way of knowing what had happened.  I would load up my three small children and drive the 15 mile route from our home to his place of employment, make calls to the sheriff's office, hospital and family members.  The first time the ex disappeared, he turned up a couple days later at his father's home and would remain there for a week.
The last time the ex disappeared, he was missing for 10 days without anyone knowing where he was.  When he finally returned, he said he had spent the time literally living in his car.  He was gaunt, dirty and looked shell shocked.  There were 4 disappearing acts in that last year together, each one more severe, more destructive to our family than the one before.  The last disappearing act brought delusions to our family, and I was often awakened to the ex rambling in the house at odd hours talking gibberish.  He would say things like needing to protect the children from "them".  At only 32, I was confused, scared, saddened and hopelessly lost.  I watched as my husband, the father of my children, my best friend disappeared.

When I turned to his family for support, I received little.

---------------------------------------- I will return to this post later; as it normally does, life stepped in and altered my original intent.  Re-reading this this morning, I thought I should post it already and do a followup later.  Geeze, my life is a collage of so many things; and that is a great idea for a future post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eggnog French Toast

~Eggnog French Toast Casserole~ Update:  this has been a very busy post, viewed almost daily and consistently since it's original publication.  I would love to hear about anyone's attempts at making this Eggnog French Toast. copied from Women of Faith daily newsletter This recipe sounds so amazing.  I wondered if this was the casserole that Jessica and Rachel ended up rolling around in on the floor in The Family Stone .  A little digging revealed that instead, it is actually Breakfast Strata which sounds equally appealling.  I did not like the movie, The Family Stone.  Maybe it was too realistic.  Maybe I was hoping for something more whimsical and hopeful.  I have tried a couple times since my initial viewing to watch it, but I cannot bring myself to sit through it. Eggnog French Toast Casserole A make-ahead breakfast perfect for Christmas morning! 1 loaf French Bread 8 oz. Cream Cheese 10 Eggs 2 cups Eggnog ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Slice a

Mitchells in the Revolutionary War

The next line I tackled  was the Mitchell family.  My great grandmother was Artha B Mitchell (1883 - 1977).  I can barely remember her.  I was ten years old when she died.  She was the daughter of Francis Marion Mitchell (1855 - 1904).  It is Francis's grandfather, Andrew Mitchell, Jr. (1760 - 1824) who served in the Revolutionary War.  It is truly a story worthy of legend.  Andrew was one of 3 sons born to Irish immigrants Andrew and Mary (McGowan) Mitchell. The young family came to the colonies in 1752.  They began their journey in a Scottish - Irish community in Eastern Pennsylvania before migrating to Orange County, North Carolina.  Besides the boys, Andrew and Mary had 2 daughters, Margaret and Nancy. At the time of the Revolution, my 5th great grandfather, Andrew, Jr was just starting his family.  He had married Mary Tate in 1781.  He was in service but took furlough to be with his ill wife.  This information is documented in a a hand written SAR application by Andrew's

Revolutionary War beginnigns

With the 4th of July only a couple days away, I thought I'd spend some time visiting with the family and share some of our family heritage. As the United States turns 236 years old this week, thinking about those unique ancestors who risked so much to bring about the American independence takes me back to Virginia, North / South Carolina and Maryland and the original 13 colonies.  We all get so wrapped up in our lives that we forget to honor the past; or, as is often the case, families are unaware of the past.  Technology opens the coffins of complacency and sweeps away the dust of indifference.  I love learning about my ancestors.  They are some unique individuals who lived life in another time and place but who are still present in our genetics.  Think about it...........the same DNA that existed in a person 236 years ago is chronicled in my own DNA.  It is almost like a message left in a bottle...........all I have to do is open the bottle.  Our collective written history is no